- This event has passed.
Oscar Shorts 2019: LIVE ACTION
The Sedona International Film Festival is proud to present the Northern Arizona premieres of the 2019 Oscar Nominated Shorts Programs Feb. 8-14 at the Mary D. Fisher Theatre.
Now an annual film festival tradition, Sedona audiences will be able to see all of the short films nominated for Academy Awards before the Oscar telecast in late February. A perennial hit with audiences around the country (and now the world), don’t miss this year’s selection of shorts. All of the Live Action Short Film nominees and Animated Short Film nominees will be featured. Documentary Short Film nominees will also be shown the following week.
The Oscar-nominated Live Action Shorts Program will include:
• Detainment (Ireland) – Two ten-year-old boys are detained by police under suspicion of abducting and murdering a toddler. A true story based on interview transcripts from the James Bulger case which shocked the world in 1993 and continues to incite public outrage across the UK today.
• Fauve (Canada) – Set in a surface mine, two boys sink into a seemingly innocent power game with Mother Nature as the sole observer. Alone in the wild the two boys play around. Complicity evolves into a confrontation where one wants to have power over the other. Taking proportions larger than nature, this game will not prove as harmless as they thought.
• Marguerite (Canada) – An aging woman and her nurse develop a friendship that inspires her to unearth unacknowledged longing and thus help her make peace with her past.
• Madre (Mother) (Spain) – A single mother receives a call from herseven-year-old son who is on vacation with hisfather in the French Basque Country. At first the call is a cause for joy, but soon it becomes a horrible nightmare when the child tells her that he is alone and cannot find his father who left a while ago.
• Skin (USA) – A small supermarket in a blue-collar town, a black man smiles at a 10 year old white boy across the checkout aisle. This innocuous moment sends two gangs into a ruthless war that ends with a shocking backlash.
The Oscar Live Action Shorts Program will show: Friday and Sunday, Feb. 8 and 10 at 4 p.m.; and Saturday and Thursday, Feb. 9 and 14 at 7 p.m.
Tickets are $12, or $9 for Film Festival members. For tickets and more information, please call 928-282-1177. Both the theatre and film festival office are located at 2030 W. Hwy. 89A, in West Sedona.